Lotus Lantern parade

We went to Seoul last weekend for the Lotus Lantern parade on the occasion of Buddha's Birthday. We went last year, too (pictures in previous entry), but that time Vivian got sick and had to stay in the hotel room with Bruce. As I expected, Bruce and Vivian loved the parade! Viv really got into it, waving at the parade participants and pointing and talking about the lanterns.

Like last year, the number of participants was staggering, and the lanterns were spectacular. They came in shapes of pagodas, turtles, elephants, flowers, and of courses, Buddha figures. Many of the temples around the country send a contingent to represent the temple, and each temple puts together some kind of larger-than-life illuminated lantern, many small lanterns, or musicians or dacers.


This parade is by far my favorite unexpected discovery about Korea. I hope that we'll see the parade every year for the time that we're here.
As a side note, I saw more foreigners in one night in Seoul than I see all year in Busan. It always surprises me how international Seoul is compared to Busan. We really should take more weekend trips up there!
Labels: uniquely Korea


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home